Tough Girl

Before I move on to today’s post, I want to share Ashley’s post. I met Jen at the Healthy Living Summit in August, she and I had breakfast at the same table and I remember thinking what a running inspiration she is. She and her husband lost everything and she almost lost her husband. Ashley has put together a post where you can donate items for their family.

I have been MIA for a few days, largely in part of our move from our condo to our temporary home until our new house is ready. Partly because, apparently, I have been stressed.

Photo 6
Empty House

I actually thought I was handling it well, I certainly didn’t feel stressed. Yes, our movers cancelled our move without notifying us, yes, we had to make a few unnecessary trips that were 2+ hours, but I thought I was doing fine.

Monday night as we finished dinner I started to get a pain in my lower stomach, I ignored it and went to bed when I usually do, woke up on Tuesday and was still in a bit of pain, but we had a lot of scrambling to do so I sort of just forgot about it. Tuesday evening the pain was getting worse, I tried a bunch of home remedies but eventually I went to bed and woke up Wednesday, again in pain but I had a trip to make in order to get the movers all set, so I just sort of forgot about it.

Wednesday night we were at our temporary home and I started getting really terrible stomach pains, I was able to go to bed but when I woke up I still felt bad. I called my doctor, but I assumed that it was some GI problems so I went and got a coffee from Starbucks, some Colace from CVS and hoped that would move things along.

Friday it was fine during the day, but I was in terrible pain in the morning and the evening. Saturday was a very busy day, I woke up in pain but needed to get moving so I tried to forget about it. Nick and I made a 2 hour drive to a friends baby shower/housewarming party, we hadn’t eaten more than breakfast before we left and only nibbled on some appetizers during the party. I was getting a headache so on the way back I grabbed 2 Advil and a soda because I had no caffeine at all during the day.

Nick and I went straight from the party to a dinner & drinks date with Caitlin

Photo 7
stolen from Caitlin.

We had an awesome time as well as some great food and drinks. Nick and I went home around 9 and my stomach started feeling terrible again, I even told Nick, if it still hurts in the morning I needed to go to Urgent Care because this is not normal and not GI anymore.

I woke up on Sunday at 1 am, in excruciating pain. I tried ginger ale, pepto bismol, tried going to the bathroom and it just kept getting worse. Nick stayed home in case B woke up and my mother-in-law ended up taking me to the ER.

After 30 minutes of registering, I sat in the waiting room for 30 minutes. They brought me back into a room and had me change into a gown. Two and half hours later, after my MIL went to the nurses station, I finally had a nurse come in to check me out. He asked me a lot of questions repeatedly and then left. About 30 minutes later a doctor came in and started asking me questions, she told me that she thought I had a stress ulcer, and she wanted the doctor who was in charge to double check and make sure it wasn’t gall stones or anything more serious. She was pressing on my stomach and asked if I was a tough girl. Even though I was in excruciating pain I was silent, seemingly calm. Side note: I was the same way when I was in labor. I think it shocked most people, I am loud and curse like a sailor, but when it comes to severe pain I just go to this place where I am completely quiet.

The doctor came in and she agreed that it was pretty textbook stress ulcer and told me what meds to take and that the following things need to be abstained from until it goes away: alcohol, Advil/ibuprofen, caffeine, spicy foods, fast foods, etc… Now I know why it hurt so bad, I had caffeine, alcohol and Advil within three hours and it probably really irritated the ulcer.

Photo 5

I got home around 7 am on Sunday and immediately took a nap, I am still in some pain but the pain is starting to lessen. I have to see my doctor tomorrow to make sure things are going okay, and where to go from here.

I just want to say thank you to those who sent me messages, texts, emails etc… I really appreciate the love!

14 thoughts on “Tough Girl

Leave a Reply